It’s such a delicacy here in Maine. We wait for those tasty little fern sprouts to arrive in the spring. At my house, my Polish husband thinks fiddle heads are like eating grass, so I get to eat all of them. I also blanch a few batches and then freeze them so I can enjoy them in the winter. I hide my stash from my brother.Fiddle heads are also delicious cooked in water, drained and served with salt, pepper and melted butter.
I bake a wonderful chocolate cake. My friends are always asking for the recipe and I am never willing to give it out. Why? I enjoy the praise for an incredible cake. I love watching them take a bite and I patiently wait for them to be pleasantly surprised. They settle deep into their seat, relax, and prepare for the next bite of chocolate sensation. But it’s time to share the secret with you. The secret is on the back of the Hershey’s Cocoa can. Yup, that’s it, that’s the recipe I use for my base chocolate cake every time.
Experiment with your frosting and filling flavors. Toasted almonds, Amaretto and coconut blend wonderfully with butter cream frosting…..
Or chocolate frosting blended with Kahlua and raspberry liquor. The center is filled with our homemade raspberry jam. I am in desperate need of a cake decorating class and so I cover the top of my poorly frosted cake with chocolate squiggles, chocolate shavings and fresh raspberries….
So now that the secret is out, promise me you will come back and post how your cake baked up and what flavors you chose to make it sensational. Happy baking!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING (recipe follows)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.
“PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting
Wild mushroom stuffed sachetti, pasta pouches filled with love, seared scallops, pesto oil drizzle, fresh arugula and grated parmesan…Where can you buy sachetti? Maybe at your local farmers market or a health food store. I still have a supply from my restaurant, Renaissance Bistro. I ordered them from my food purveyor. You could substitute a nice fresh ravioli.
It comes from within. It comes from the soul.
It is yours. Your desire to cook.